Thursday, March 21, 2013

Chalkboard Paint - yay or nay?

I know maybe it's an overdone trend nowadays, but that doesn't mean that I don't love it!




It's such a fun element!! And I have the PERFECT wall for it in my kids room...
 It's really not that large of a wall, but it's big enough to *hopefully* encourage hours of quiet playtime.


SO now, I just have a few questions to any moms, decorators, or owners of chalkboards walls (any anybody else) what YOU think!

Pros? Cons? Is it really messy? Hard to clean? I guess the only thing I really worry about is possibly the dust?? Is it really that bad? I've never worked with chalkboard paint before so I really have no idea, and a lot of the other blogs and such I've read don't really go into a lot of details about the good, the bad, and the ugly.

Please! Share your wisdom!

Hopefully it doesn't erase my chalkboard wall dreams...

3 comments:

  1. I love the idea of a chalkboard wall. My only beef with it is I have a hard time coming to terms with painting an entire wall black....A)kids can't reach the top half and B)if you have small spaces like me the dark wall only makes the room feel smaller. So when I came across this idea I was excited! Here is the link:

    http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8437/7864265920_d809017ce7_b.jpg

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also I think most of the dust is generated from the erasing...if you are worried about your kiddos inhaling dust maybe just do the erasing when they aren't in the room. Or if you erase with a wet rag rather than an actual eraser I noticed that there really is no dust because it gets contained by the wet rag. Just an idea : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. We had a large free standing chalkboard (about 3 feet by 4 feet) when the kids were about 5 and it drove me nuts... way too much dust. It always seemed when I tried to use the wet rag to erase, that's when the kids wanted to use it and couldn't, cause it was wet.

    I have recently seen the whiteboard paint... no dust, but I wonder how whiteboard markers would be... would the toddler age kids 'mark' where they weren't supposed to? When mine were a bit younger, I ended up letting them use white board markers on the windows and french doors. That was fun! (I have a friend, who uses white board markers on her fridge. That works great too ... and occupies them when she is trying to cook dinner!)

    ReplyDelete