Tuesday, July 10, 2012

July 7th, July 8th, July 9th

Nope, she's not been born yet.

There's only so long that you can sit around in a hospital room. Only so many movies you can watch, games you can play, and hours you can spend sleeping. Then, you start to go crazy. Luckily, my husband has the option to get out and do things. He brought his golf clubs up from Lewiston and Saturday morning he went golfing. Again, it wasn't a big deal because I still was showing no signs of contractions or anything and Kyle would go absolutely nuts if he had to sit around here all day.
Nothing else really happens here at the hospital. It's all just one big waiting game... I've got nurses and doctors that walk in and out of my room constantly. Giving me my antibiotics, taking my vitals, drawing my blood for labs, monitoring the baby, and keeping track of my contractions (if I were to have any).

I think Kyle and I have gotten past the initial shock that this baby isn't going to be as healthy as we would like, which in a way is nice. Our brains are working enough now to come up with questions for us to ask. And I guess in a catch 22 kind of way, it is nice to know that i'm only going to be in the Hospital until around next Tuesday, when I hit 34 weeks. They won't leave the baby in for longer than that because of the risk of infection to me.

Saturday and Sunday were fairly uneventful. The doctor finally signed off on me being able to shower. That was exciting!! But then apparently I took too long and got yelled at for taking too long. Oh well. I needed a shower. I think everyone who's been around me could agree to that too.

Monday was a different story. I'd been having some stomach pains (not contractions - they felt like really bad gas pains but they were consistent) so the doctor wanted to run some tests. They drew some blood and found that my white blood cell count was high. That means that my body could be preparing to launch an attack on something... like an infection. I also had a fever, and my blood pressure was high. All signs of the beginning of an infection. Which I'm not even sure how I would get an infection at this point because my body is so pumped full of antibiotics. I wasn't allowed to eat in the event that they would need to do an emergency c-section if it was an infection. But eventually my fever broke and my blood pressure lowered to a more normal number, so now I'm just being monitored closer, and so is baby. Instead of every 6 hours, they come in every 4 hours and probably 2 or 3 times in between.

It's exhausting, but at least I know that if something were to happen, it would be a quick turnaround. The last thing I want is to develop an infection that could spread to this little girl. She is already going to be putting up quite a fight and I don't want to make it worse.

I think that's all the updates for now...we'll see how Tuesday goes.

P.S. I've made it to 33 Weeks!!!!! Yay!!!! My doctors are all excited about that! and so is the staff in the NICU. They tell me that for every day that she's inside of me, is two days less that she has to spend in the NICU. Every day is a victory for us here.

1 comment:

  1. You are soooo strong! Everything will be ok! I love you, and am so proud of how you and Kyle are handling this!!!