Saturday, October 30, 2010

Alrighty then...

Alright. So. It's been two and a half weeks since my baby boy Max was born and I figure that now is as good a time as any to fill you all in on how it happened...

My due date was Oct. 5th, and any of you that actually read this blog would know that Oct. 5th came and went, and there was no baby. So after a considerable amount of whining to me OB about how miserable I was and how sick I still was, etc...she agreed to induce me. But she wanted to wait until the 13th... which was like FOREVER away. (Believe me, I tried to get her to induce me on the 10th... but she said no.) Anyways, I was hoping that he would come early, but we all know that didn't happen, and I was EXCITED about getting induced. I know people have lots of horror stories about how hard it makes labor, but I figured that labor was already hard and I wouldn't know the difference if I had a particularly nasty labor. So getting induced didn't bug me. I just wanted the baby out!! Luckily for me though, I didn't have to be induced. Around 5pm on the 12th I started getting what I thought were stomach aches, but when I timed them, they were about 4-5min apart... not quite enough for me to go in, plus they weren't that bad. But around 10pm, they moved to 3 min apart...and at 1am.. they were 2 min apart and I was WRITHING in pain!! So I woke up the hubby and we went to the hospital. Which is pretty funny to me because I was supposed to be there at 6am anyways to get induced. Anywho, we went to the hospital... contractions pretty much stayed at two min apart but did they ever hurt!!! It was miserable!!! I was miserable! So miserable, in fact, that I could not stop throwing up. Which, I'm sure was such a joy for my husband, mother, and sis-in-law to watch. But seriously, at that point, I didn't care who saw me, or what they saw me doing, like I said, I was miserable and modesty was a thing of the past. At 4am they gave me my epidural, and when I sat up to get that done, my water broke. Which is nice, better to have it break naturally then have them have to break it for me.

I know some women (my mother included) are brave enough to go through labor without any drugs, and I respect them and think they're a teensy bit crazy at the same time, I wanted the drugs! And they were miracle drugs! My epidural was PERFECT!! After I got it, I didn't feel anything!! I was still woosy, and throwing up, but at least I wasn't in pain.. Which was nice when 8:02am came around and the nurses told me to start pushing. And I didn't push for that long, Max was born at 8:47am.. and would have been here sooner but the nurses made me "hold him in" for about 10 minutes while we waited for the OB to get there... which, had I not been drugged, would NOT have happened.

All in all, it was wonderful. Honestly. Not at all like the horror stories I hear about. It was such a beautiful and deeply moving spiritual moment in my life and in Kyle's life. It was honestly the best day of my life. And the best thing to happen to Kyle and I.

Fun Facts about Hailey's labor:

1. I had a birth photographer there - she took pictures of the labor and the birth.
Now before some people freak out about how potentially gross that would be, don't judge me. My sis-in-law, Heidi Simmons, is a wonderful photographer and she agreed to be there to take pictures. I don't regret it at all. She got some beautiful shots. She captured Max's first breath, the first time Kyle held him, or the first time I held him. She captured Kyle and I completely overwhelmed in the beauty of the day and they are beautiful photographs. I'm so lucky she was willing to do it and so glad that I let her. I'm hoping I live by her for my next one so she can do it again.

2. I lied to my OB - not recommended.
I was so concerned with making sure that I couldn't feel any pain, that when my OB asked me (while I was pushing) if I could feel the contractions (which I couldn't because of the epidural), I lied and said that I could so that she wouldn't take my drugs away from me. Don't judge.

3. I got about 15 stitches - ouch.
Which makes me feel better about having such a good epidural.

Well, there you have it. Sorry if it's not detailed enough or whatever but that's how it happened.
It was a great day.
And look at the beautiful baby I have to show for it ♥

Dad and Max

Kyle's parents were able to come up this last week for a couple of days to see Max.
And I'll admit, it was nice having someone there so that I could sleep, eat, shower, etc.
i'm glad they came!!!!

life is still good people.

1 comment:

  1. It was great to finally give love and kisses to this handsome little Max - he is a perfect baby and you are very blessed - take good care of him and we are anxious for Thanksgiving to see all of you again...